Saturday, June 30, 2018

Project Tomato - Update #1




June 24, 2018.

It took longer than I have expected, but I was now able to transfer some of the tomato seedlings to small individual pots.  Some, because I only got to transfer the seedlings from the pot (excess seeds that I was unable to plant on to the 72 hole tray), I have not transferred any from the seeding tray yet (hopefully next week).

I should have done this last June 16, but there was a storm the first two weeks of June, it was raining most of the time and the sun almost never shines.  That had caused the slow growth of the seeds.  I think that today (at least for the ones in the seeding pot), they are big enough for me to transfer them.  And that is exactly what I did today.

I made some compost a few weeks back in the PachamGarden.  I will be using that on the pots where I will transfer the seedlings.

I made the pots where I have transferred the tomatoes from empty Gatorade bottles (I will make another post on how I made them).  But I just now realized that it will be hard to remove the plants once they are ready for transfer to the beds.  Because the base of these pots is larger than its opening or mouth.  Maybe I will have to make a vertical cut in it to get the plants out.  We will soon find that out.

This is the seeding pot.


I have removed the seedlings from the pot.  It's replanting time!


I separated each plant and being very careful not to damage the roots.  This is the problem with this kind of planting from seeds because the roots would be tangled, it is easy to damage the roots.  Unlike that of the seeding tray which you can get the plant and the soil easily without damaging the roots because they have grown in separate holes of the tray.


I then filled the mini pot with soil. And that's it.

The seedlings will stay here for around one month.  Or probably longer, because of the current weather (still cloudy most of the time).  I hope they would grow big and fast.

After they have grown big enough, I will transfer them to the beds in PachamGarden.  Hopefully, that would be on July 28 (Saturday).

Update #2 next time.






No comments:

Post a Comment