Friday, June 1, 2018

The Ginger Project - Update



First report/update on the Ginger Project that I started last September 23, 2017.  The picture above was taken last May 18, 2018, and it is the picture of the second pot which I planted last November 23, 2017.

My plan was to plant a new ginger in a container (or a pot) every other month, and I was able to do that after the first one, but that was it, I was not able to plant any after that.  So, what I have are only two pots of ginger for this project



I have noticed that the leaves of the first ginger pot were starting to dry out, and last April 22, 2018, I saw that all the leaves have completely dried up.  So, I checked what was happening and dug or tried to harvest that pot.  Unfortunately, it was a BUST!


I tipped the pot upside down and its entire content came out nicely.  It was promising up to this moment.  But when I cleared some of the dirt.......  This is what I saw......

(April 22, 2018)

(September 23, 2017)

The ginger that I planted got a little bigger (as compared to when I planted them - the second picture), and they sprouted so many roots but that was it.  No new ginger.  Nothing to harvest.  Epic fail!

So, what I did was, I replanted the two ginger in different pots.  Let us see what happens in a few weeks, or probably months.

These happened 7 months after I planted the ginger in the first pot.  I am really not sure what caused the leaves to dry out, but for the second pot, (as of writing date) things are looking pretty good, as what you can see in the first picture of this article.  I even have some Kaffir Lemon in that pot (Which reminds me that I should transplant those, and soon...).

The second pot is just more than 6 months old, but even if all its leaves dry out, I will not dig it like I did the first one, I will just let it sprout new leaves.  Maybe that is how ginger is, unlike Turmeric, where the leaves would come out after five to six months, and when those leaves dried out, then it is time to harvest.  Ginger leaves sprout faster (just a few days after planting), but probably, all the leaves have to dry first and when it sprout and dried again, that would be the time to harvest.

I will make an update on that next time,  for the meantime, I would like to show you how the replanted one looks like.

(May 27, 2018)

This is one month and five days after replanting, and this is just one of the two ginger that I replanted.  Unfortunately for the other one, I replanted it in a smaller container and kinda left it in an area where it is hit by direct sunlight, no shades the entire day. And that one does not have any leaves up to now.  Tomorrow, I will put it in a cooler place, hopefully, it would survive.

And that is all for now.




No comments:

Post a Comment