Sunday, May 27, 2018

Project Tomato



May 27, 2018.

I just finished planting the tomato seeds that I bought last Friday (May 25), finally!

I was watching a lot of YouTube videos about urban farming these last few weeks.  Mostly, the videos in The Urban Farmer channel of Curtis Stone, and that of Nature's Always Right channel of Steven Cornett.  The videos that they took from their urban farms were really amazing and inspiring.

I really want to have those vegetable beds in my yard as well, but the temperature in the Philippines at the moment is really high.  The weather app on my phone says it is 34° C today, and also, the soil is really dry.  But if I really want to have an urban farm, I must start with something.

And the plant that I choose to grow first is Tomatoes.

I chose tomatoes because maybe, by the time I planted them on my beds, the weather will be a little bit colder (hopefully).  I also wanted to grow some Lettuce, but because of the current temperature, I do not think that lettuce will grow well.  So, maybe I will try to plant some of them around July or August.

So, last Friday, I was able to buy some seeds, and I also bought a seeding tray and the seed raising medium.

And I worked on them today.


The tray that I have has 72 holes in it.


I filled the tray with the seed raising medium.  I will be using the Beef Steak Tomato today, the other one I will plant next time.


I punched holes in the tray using my index finger.  The holes are as deep as the first joint of my finger.


Then I drop a seed in each hole.


Then I filled the holes with more of the seeding mix.


Then finally, I watered the tray.

The tray only has 72 holes, so the rest of the seeds, I planted in this pot.


So, these are the ones that I planted today.


They said that I should let these tomatoes grow for about 18 to 20 days in this tray, and by the time when I can see some roots on the trays drain holes, that is when I should transfer them in a pot.  And after around 30 days in the pot, I would then transfer them to my beds.

That is it, for now, I will make my update after 20 days, that's on June 16.

Hopefully, the update would not be "all the tomatoes that I planted died" ehehehe.





No comments:

Post a Comment