Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Amazing Azolla

I learned of this plant when I was looking for some organic feeds for my Red Tilapia.  I’ve searched the net for some information, and I found many, regarding this plant.



So, the next thing is how to get me some of them.  I have joined some Facebook groups about  farming and gardening, and I was lucky enough that there was someone who is selling Azolla in one of this groups.  I have found other sellers, but their location is too far from our place.  The one that I got my Azolla from is Miss Juvy, her farm is also very far from my house, but she sends her Azolla via courier, and that made all the difference, I would finally have my own Azolla.  

This was the starter kit what I bought from her last June 21, 2016.



This is one kilo, and if I remember it correctly, I think the cost of shipping is higher than the actual cost of the package itself.

I still do not have any tank or container to put the plants on back then, so I put most of it in the 90 gal tank where I keep my Tilapia, and the others on the 20 gal tank.


One kilo is already a lot of Azolla, it covered the entire surface area of both the 90 gal and 20 gal tanks.  And I still have some to spare.



It has been more than six months, and I am still growing the Azolla.  I do not have a big enough tank or pond to grow larger quantity, but the ones that I have is good enough to supplement the feeds for my Red Tilapaia.

If I put azolla in my Tilapia tank, as many as in the first picture, the Tilapia would be able to eat all of it in about a week.  Currently, I am able to grow that much azolla every other week.  So, I am saving two week’s worth of feeds every month.

Next time I will show some pictures and tell some stories on how easy it is to grow them.



No comments:

Post a Comment